Have you ever been in a situation where you tried to remove the smell of diesel from your clothes, but it took hold like an uninvited guest? Whether it’s fueling a car, running equipment, or an accidental spill, it can be difficult to get that strong diesel smell out of your clothes.
Inhaling diesel is harmful to your health. Chronic nausea, vomiting, eye, nose and throat irritation can result from short-term exposure. Long-term exposure can lead to asthma, lung cancer, heart disease, or brain and immune system problems.
In this comprehensive guide, I will discuss some useful tips and tricks on how to remove diesel odor from your clothing. Say goodbye to that stubborn smell and make your clothes smell fresh as a daisy again.
Why doesn’t the washing machine get the diesel smell out of the laundry?
Diesel fuel is a petroleum-based product, which means it is made from oil and other chemicals. Oil and water do not mix well, so normal detergents cannot neutralize and remove the diesel smell from clothes.
In addition, diesel fuel contains sulfur and nitrogen, which give it a strong odor. These chemicals are also difficult to remove from clothing.
Here are some reasons why the smell of diesel does not disappear after washing clothes:
- Normal detergents are not designed to remove oil stains.
- Diesel fuel contains large amounts of sulfur and nitrogen; it gives off an unpleasant odor that can be difficult to remove.
- Diesel can easily soak into clothing, making stains and odors difficult to remove.
- Diesel can also damage the seal lines in your washing machine.
How to get diesel smell out of clothes with vinegar And baking soda
Vinegar and baking soda are natural deodorizers and effective stain removers. They can also be an inexpensive way to remove diesel odor from your clothes.
You may prefer natural products over harsh chemicals, but remember that this method is for removing mild odors.
Here are the steps to remove diesel odor and stains with baking soda and vinegar.
- Take a clean cloth and rub the stain as best you can.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the affected area. Let the baking soda soak up the diesel for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix an equal part of white vinegar and water. Pour the vinegar paste over the baking soda and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse in a cool place with cold water.
- Wash your clothes as usual.
- Do not put your clothes in the dryer if you smell diesel. If the diesel remains on the clothes, it can cause a fire!
- Dry your clothes in the sun. If you do not have this option, you can also hang your clothes on a drying rack.
Some additional tips:
- Use white vinegar, as apple cider vinegar can leave a residue.
- Do not use baking soda on leather or silk as it can damage the fabric.
How to remove diesel smell from clothes With cola and baking soda
You may find this strange, but believe me, people have regularly used cola to remove stains from clothing. The citric acid in cola can break down diesel particles, making them easier to remove during washing. Baking soda is used here as well. And this time it is paired with Coca-Cola!
Steps to remove diesel smell from clothes with cola and baking soda:
- You will need a large tub or bucket, hot water, a 2-liter Coke bottle, a can of baking soda, and gloves.
- Pour enough hot water into a tub or bucket.
- Add the cola and baking soda to the water.
- Soak diesel-smelling clothes in the solution for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- Wash your clothes as usual.
Cola and baking soda will break down the diesel fuel and remove the odor. Baking soda is a natural degreaser, and cola contains acids that can help remove odors from textiles.
Cola cleaning methods can work well, but you will need to buy a pack of cola and a whole pack of baking soda. This is not the cheapest solution, but it is very effective for oil-based stains.
How to remove diesel smell with alcohol and baking soda
Rubbing alcohol is an effective degreaser that can remove the smell of diesel from your clothes.
Follow these steps when using baking soda and rubbing alcohol:
- Sprinkle baking soda on the clothes with the diesel smell.
- The baking soda should be covered with rubbing alcohol until absorbed.
- Allow the clothes to air dry for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Wash the clothes with cold water.
- Wash the garments as usual.
- Baking soda absorbs diesel odor, and rubbing alcohol helps remove odor residue.
You can repeat the process if the odor remains after washing the garments. Add a few drops of essential oil to the washing machine to make the clothes smell better. For example, you can use lavender or tea tree oil.
How to remove diesel smell with mouthwash
Mouthwash, like Listerine, is also known to remove diesel odor. Here is how you can do this:
- Put your diesel stained clothes in the washing machine with the detergent of your choice.
- Add 1 cup of mouthwash to the drum or bleach dispenser.
- Wash the clothes as usual.
- Hang your clothes to dry.
The smell is still noticeable after washing the clothes. You can repeat the process with half a cup of baking soda.
We receive a commission when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
How to get diesel smell out of clothes with ammonia
You can use ammonia to get the diesel smell out of your clothes, but it’s important to use it carefully. Ammonia is a strong chemical that can irritate the skin and eyes. Therefore, it is important to wear gloves and protect your eyes.
Follow these steps to remove diesel odor from clothing containing ammonia.
- Fill a bucket with warm water.
- Pour a quarter cup of ammonia into the water.
- Stir the mixture until the ammonia is completely gone.
- Let your clothes soak in the solution for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Wash your clothes in clean water.
How to get diesel smell out of clothes with heavy duty detergent
You can get the diesel smell out of your clothes with heavy duty detergents, but it’s important to use them correctly. Here are the steps to do so.
- First, treat the affected area with a heavy-duty detergent. Mix a few drops of detergent with water and rub the solution onto the stain. Leave the solution on for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Wash the clothes as usual. Use the warmest water setting that is safe for the fabric.
- You can repeat the process if the odor is still noticeable after washing. You can add drops of an essential oil to the washing machine, such as lavender or tea tree oil, to freshen the clothes.
How to get diesel smell out of clothes with mechanic’s soap
Mechanical soap removes oil and grease from your skin. And it’s not hard to guess that it can also break down diesel residue on fabrics and get rid of the smell. Fast Orange is a popular choice among all mechanic soaps.
Follow these steps to remove diesel odor from clothing with mechanic’s soap:
- Apply the mechanic’s soap to the affected area. To do this, you can rub the soap into the fabric or apply it with a sponge.
- Leave the soap on for 30 minutes.
- Wash the clothes as usual with the warmest water temperature that will not damage the fabric.
- You can repeat the process if the smell is still noticeable after washing. You can add drops of an essential oil to the washing machine, such as lavender or tea tree oil, to freshen the clothes.
We receive a commission when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
What you should never do when removing diesel from clothing
With all the techniques described above, hopefully you know how to remove that awful diesel smell from your favorite piece of clothing.
But there are many ways the cleaning process can go wrong. So watch out for these little mistakes and avoid them the next time you have to deal with clothes that have come into contact with diesel.
|Using the dryer to dry clothes that have been in contact with diesel.||Never dry clothes that have come in contact with diesel in the dryer. The heat and electricity of the dryer can start a fire if there is diesel residue on the clothing.|
|Wash diesel-soaked clothing with other clothing.||Never wash diesel-soiled clothes together with other clothes. Diesel can easily contaminate other clothes, making the entire wash smell like fuel.|
|Use hot water for delicate fabrics.||Most people wash their clothes with hot water to eliminate odors. However, delicate fabrics such as silk or wool should not be washed with hot water. Always check the labels on your clothes to make sure they are heat resistant.|
|Use of harsh chemicals without testing.||Bleach, ammonia or even rubbing alcohol are harsh chemicals that should not be used on delicate fabrics or colorful clothing. Again, read the labels on your clothing before using harsh products.|
Removing diesel odor from garments after washing.
Soaking in vinegar and any of the above methods can help eliminate the diesel smell if you washed your clothes prior to treatment. Although it is usually preferable, it is impossible to remove the diesel odor immediately after the spill.
If you have washed the clothes before, you should take the following measures to eliminate the diesel smell:
- White vinegar and water should be diluted. For every 1 cup of vinegar, take 2 cups of water in a bucket. Soak the clothes for a few hours.
- Rinse the clothes thoroughly with cold water to remove the vinegar smell.
- Air dry the clothes in the sun to make the smell disappear even better.
- Repeat the procedure of soaking in vinegar and air drying to eliminate the odor if it persists.
These techniques can be successful. However, diesel odors are notoriously difficult to eliminate. It may take a few iterations of the plan before you notice a difference. If you have already put the clothes in the washing machine without treating the odor, it is even more difficult to get rid of diesel odor.
Although it can be difficult to get diesel out of clothing, it is doable with the right methods. You can choose the method you think is best for you from the ones I have presented, as they are all reliable.
If diesel gets on your clothes, you need to act fast. The stain is harder to remove if it has already dried. You should not dry the garments while the odor is present. The heat from the dryer can permanently introduce the odor into the fabric.
1. how to remove diesel smell from clothes effectively?
Many household products, including vinegar, cola, rubbing alcohol and commercial stain removers, can help remove the unpleasant diesel smell. Fuel smell from your favorite piece of clothing.
2. what are the proven methods to get diesel out of clothes?
Proven methods for removing diesel from clothing include using baking soda on the stain or using commercial stain removers. These methods effectively break down the grease and oil in diesel.
3. Can vinegar be used to remove the smell of diesel from clothing?
Yes, vinegar can help to remove the diesel Odor from clothing. A cup of white vinegar added to the washing machine during the wash cycle can help neutralize odors, including diesel smells. Vinegar is known as a natural deodorizer and can be especially helpful for stubborn odors.
4. How to remove diesel fuel from clothes after washing?
If you have already washed the clothes and the diesel smell remains. You can still try soaking the clothes in vinegar for a few hours. If you have already put the clothes in the washing machine without removing the smell, it is more difficult to remove diesel smell.